Monday, June 20, 2011

What does it mean?


I pulled into the gas station, amazed that the price was down to $3.77 a gallon.  Slid my bank card through the machine, typed in my password, and it said "CARD NOT AUTHORIZED".  What does that mean?  Clearly there was some error, maybe I put in my password incorrectly, so I tried again, same message.  How is this possible?

I could feel my heart thudding in my chest, my hands begin to shake.  I know there is money in my account.  I checked the balance yesterday morning.  What's more I hadn't spent any money recently.  I pulled my car over and contacted my bank.  Thank You Citibank!  

Apparently some guy named Brian Kim had put a transfer through my account in the amount of $100.  Then attempted another transfer for $400.  Citi put an alert on my account and basically shut it down.  I could kiss them for this right now.  After a taped conversation, where I swore I had not transferred money to Brian Kim, nor had I authorized the transfer, there was hope in sight. My money will be returned in 24-48 hours.  I can deal with that, surely it's no time at all in comparison to never getting it back..

I went straight home, used the secured computer to sign on and change my password as well as my ATM pin.  Apparently these are practices that we should all do every 30 - 60 days. I am very pleased with Citi for being so helpful in the whole process.  

The only other thing I want to say is, whoever Brian Kim is, may Karma take care of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment