Thursday, April 28, 2011

A Fried Green Tomatoes Moment


Every now and then I have a "TAWANDA" moment.  Today, I had one of those moments.  I drove into the parking lot at the supermarket.  I had my list on the seat beside me, along with the weekly ad.  I was ready to do my shopping, add up my savings, and get on with my day.  Everything was good.

Then it happened, a car was headed straight at me.  I stopped, wondered if I had inadvertently gone the wrong direction down the aisle.  I looked at all the parked cars.  They were pointed in the same direction I was going.  I hadn't made a mistake.  I looked at the driver in the oncoming car.  She was young, she was determined, and she was waving to me to back up.  Oh Hell NO!  I summoned all the self-righteousness in me, and stood my ground.  After all, I had the right of way.  So we began our stand-off.  I quickly ascertained that my doors were locked.  Let's get real, she was in her 20's, I'm over 50, the girl could definitely kick my behind.  I hung on to the video recall flashing through my addled brain, Kathy Bates delivering the line "I'm older and I have more insurance!".  I was going to stay put.  I figured, I wasn't on my lunch break, heck I don't have a job, I had all day to sit there.  I glanced at the digital clock on my dash, three minutes had elapsed.  I could see the young girl insulting my pedigree.  That was fine, today I was TAWANDA!  Okay, I was a sweating, kind of scared Tawanda, but I was hanging in there.  Finally, as the clock ticked off another minute, she made a hand gesture that was not a sign of approval.  Mouthed something that looked like the word "witch" and backed her car up.

I let the smirk creep across my lips.  I had won!  That would teach her to disrespect her elders.  I wondered if she kissed her mother with that mouth?  I was psyched, I was elated, I was a big chicken and sat in the car for a good ten minutes.  After all, I needed to be sure she had left the parking lot.

I think it will be a while before I let Tawanda rear her head again.  It was exhausting

No comments:

Post a Comment